Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hard Core

Mandy gets credit for the title of this post. :) She's been rooting for this one for a while, so here it is.

It starts off with a bit of typical Cathy clumsiness. We'd just moved in here and I was running up the stairs from putting something in the mailbox just before we left to run some errands. Somehow, without really recalling any major obstacle which caused me to trip, I just biffed it hard and landed with my knee right into the corner of the concrete stair, which had a lovely metal edge perfect for the slicing. Unfortunately it was pretty deep, definitely not going to close on its own. Bob started googling where our nearest ER might be, and I remembered I'd brought home some supplies a few months ago when Bob cut his arm at work. We didn't need it then and ended up just steri-stripping his wound, so I thought I'd give it a go. I had some lidocaine which was expired and an irrigation kit so I copiously irrigated, numbed it up, and started stitching! (Conveniently, I had suture kit and a few packs of sutures, all absorbable)

I figured I'd make less mess in the bathtub... you can see my concentration!


I had to do 2 layers, so here's the deep layer done!




Almost done!


Not too shabby! The classiest part is that you can see the lovely scars above and below this new one. Of course I was never headed towards a career of knee-modeling, but this seals the deal!

Now it's been about 6 weeks since this disaster and I'm mostly healed up, but it still hurts when I kneel on it and it gets achy throughout the day and I have to stretch it out a lot, but it's WAY better than when I first did it.

I was glad I had the lidocaine, but it was worn off by the time I did the superficial layer and my knee skin was so thick it took a lot of pressure to get the needle through so it sure did not feel good as I felt every suture. I'm no Jack Bauer for sure, but I was still impressed with myself that I did it. Hopefully I never have to stitch myself again, but it led to lots of great stories! Both of my grandmas are nurses, and Mom mentioned that her mom used to stitch up their pets all the time when they were growing up, which is funny. Hopefully Lilo will never get a gash that I need to stitch! Her attack by the cat a while ago was scary enough!

We had a fun weekend and enjoyed Kate and Kirk's wedding and I have lots more pics to post, but now the gross knee wound post is over with!


7 comments:

christi said...

It still amazes me that you did your own stitches. I would have to say that's pretty "Hard Core"!! I hope you guys are doing well. We need to get together.

Karen Mortensen said...

OUCH!!!! That is amazing that you were able to do that yourself. Did you bill yourself?

Brooke said...

That is pretty sweet! Brave girl!

Mandy said...

Yes! Way to post the pics, and thanks for the shout-out :) That's just very impressive. And totally hard core. Glad you are healing nicely. Your poor knee. Glad you have that doctor career to fall back on since your knee modeling is now officially not an option :)

Rachel said...

oh my stars! That freaked me out. The only time I was awake for stitches was when I sliced my foot when we were jumping off of Tubs hill...and you and mandy were more concerned with your newly found men ;). I could feel the needle snapping through the skin each time...kinda gross. I couldn't imagine having to do that myself. Teach Bob those skills so you can have your eyes closed.

Cathy and Bob Sampert said...

We want to see you guys soon too Christi! We'll find a time soon--Sat evening hopefully!

No, I did not bill myself Karen--I'm an Army doc, so I don't worry about billing!

Rach, I'm so sorry for your Tubbs incident! We so were not trying to ignore your seriously thrashed foot! Sorry they didn't numb you good!

I'm just glad it's over with! Hopefully I never have to do it again, but if I do, at least I know I can! Now I'll have more empathy the next time I stitch someone else, right? :)

Thanks to all of you for thinking I'm tough, since we all know I'm really not! :)

Susan said...

Robyn must be related to you. She falls all the time, though no stiches yet. But so far she's managed to bang the same knee in the same place three times. I don't think it will ever heal.