SALT LAKE CITY!!!
for the next 3 years for my Peds GI fellowship! I loved San Diego and Denver’s programs too, but they’re definitely more research-oriented and I want to see patients and work clinically for my whole career…. Research is part of every fellowship but the typical setup is 2 years of research and only 1 year of clinical training, which I was not psyched about, and Salt Lake is such a busy program that I’ll get the opportunity to do tons of procedures and they’re willing to work with me to help me develop a good research project and once I finish that can focus more on clinical stuff for the rest of my fellowship (their planned split is 18 months for each, which is great). The people were definitely a better fit for me too. I got to meet the other fellow they’ve selected to start this summer and he’s great, as are all their staff. It really felt like a great place for us to go and somewhere I feel I’ll fit in and love working!
The other huge bonus of Salt Lake is definitely that we’ll have family and friends so close! Bob’s brother Jared lives in Provo and his sister Jen and her husband Jap and their kids (Mady, Brooklyn, and Jay) live in Pocatello, the Lloyds (one of Bob’s best friends growing up and his wife and son) live in Layton, our friends Kate and Kirk live in Salt Lake and are both training at Primary Childrens (they were both 3rd year residents in my program when I was an intern, and now they’re doing pediatric critical care and peds cardio fellowships there), and we know people from everywhere we’ve lived that have friends or family here so hopefully we’ll have lots of visitors! Great snowboarding, ~300 days of sun a year, affordable housing, and we get to stay West and somewhat close to home. We’re really looking forward to it!
We are definitely getting sad about leaving here too—we try not to think about it! That’s always hard… we hate leaving friends with every move, but are grateful for all the fun we’ve had along the way! We also love our house and will be sad to leave it… We’re hoping to sell but will rent it out if we don’t get a great offer… a house in our neighborhood just sold for a LOT more than expected though, so that definitely helps drive up the comps and improve our chances!
While we're in SLC we saw the Jeppsens, Lloyds, Jared, and even Bob's Grandma Zellma who was down for a visit! We saw Kate and Kirk a few times too so it was a great trip--Bob was just there for the weekend and I was only there 2 more days, so it was quick, but we made the most of it!!
As usual, these are somewhat out of order, but here goes...
This is an awesome wood craft store Jen wanted to go to--I bought these HOME letters--every month you change out the O for a different symbol for the holiday. How cute is that? There's a turkey for Thanksgiving, the mitten for winter, a ladybug, a sun, flower, etc. Who knows when I'll get around to decorating them, but super-fun.
In other news, the Poteets came to visit last weekend and we had so much fun! They were only here for a short time but it was so nice to have them as always! We made gnocchi and the boys played lots of Wii Fit together and Mario and we just loved every second with them! Wish we could be neighbors, but that will still have to wait a bit longer… some day! Maybe when I’m out of the Army? Or they could just follow us around… J
We played kickball for morning report at work this week and had a great time! When was the last time you got to play kickball? My friend Bethany said she saw a GIANT kickball at Toys R Us this week, so I should have bought one of those and it could have been even more awesome, but we had a great time!
In slightly less good news… I took a tumble at basketball. I’m totally fine, but a little banged up. I play in a girls bball group Wed nights and have loved it—it’s seriously one of the biggest highlights of every week for me, but this week it resulted in a trip to the ER. I got a rebound and was out ahead for a moment on the fast break, but someone came from the side trying to steal the ball and unfortunately her foot took out both of mine while I was running and I bit it hardcore…. I flew forward and landed on both knees, my left hip, and my left hand, but still was moving…. My head just barely hit the floor and bounced up, but it was at a bad spot and I split the skin over my left eyebrow wide open. Yikes. Lots of blood, and I was definitely a little scared—it was a big fall and knocked my breath out of me, but I remember thinking, that wasn’t so bad, until I took my hand away from my head and it was covered in blood. I made a big puddle of blood because your head just bleeds so much! Somehow I didn’t get any on my shirt though, so I consider that a small victory. The other girls thought fast and were so sweet to me. Nobody was sicked out by my blood and they just got me ice and gauze and towels right away. It didn’t hurt that much, but the ice and pressure definitely stopped the bleeding quickly, so I really wasn’t dripping by the time Bob got there to take me to the ER. They cleaned up the floor so he wouldn’t see the big pool of blood when he got there and we didn’t wait long at the ER, so that was nice. I definitely questioned all of their assessments that I definitely needed stitches, but when I pulled down the mirror in the car I couldn’t question it anymore! It was definitely ugly. Steri-strips would not be sufficient! I was thinking the cleanout of the wound was really going to kill, and ditto for the local, but it wasn’t bad at all! They put LET on it when they first brought me back (topical numbing cream) and then I didn’t feel it at all when they were scrubbing it up, and it was still numb when he started injecting the local, so I didn’t feel the poke at all, but just the burn of the medicine which only lasted a second each time. I felt the cold of the needle with each stitch, but not the poke, and could feel the pulling, but it felt weird, not painful. So weird to be a patient! I was not a snobby doctor and did not demand plastics to repair it—it was a very straight lac that as not deep, but just wide, so not a complicated repair. It doesn’t go through the eyebrow, so it won’t be a terrible scar. The ER intern did it, after his attending assured me she’d supervise him and he told me he’d done lots already by this time in the year, and really, it’s Feb, so in 4 months he’ll be a 2nd year, and ER terns do tons of suturing, so I wasn’t worried. Besides, we all learn somewhere, and if no one let me do anything when I was an intern, how would I learn? He did a great job and was very meticulous. I get my stitches out tomorrow which will be great because those little strings draw a lot of attention! Every patient and parent I see questions what happened and if they don’t ask right away they don’t hear anything I say because they’re just studying the wound the whole time and thinking about what it could be! I now have a better understanding of what it’s like to be a patient and hopefully it will help me be a better doctor. I always try to remember to explain everything I’m doing, even when the parent is a physician too, and they all did a good job of doing that for Bob and I, although obviously this wasn’t a complicated visit. I definitely have headaches and some sore bruises and floor burns, but feel a little better each day, or I did until this horrible cold hit yesterday!
These are graphic, so if you're grossed out by blood, look away!!!
Here's the lovely spatter I showed up to the ER with--my ear was the grossest--I had turned on my side to keep it from going in my eye after it happened and so blood pooled in my ear and was all crusted! Not to mention my poor hair... See what I mean about the ice though? It slowed down the bleeding and it was pretty clotted when we got there.


This is my floorburn on my hand--it hurts pretty bad too--way more than my head! I hit it on everything...

Sorry those are yucky pictures to end on! We hope you’re all well and haven’t been hit by any bad viruses lately! Our ward is full of RSV kiddos right now…. Dang that virus! Wash your hands meticulously! And hope you all enjoy your Sunday!
In the background is a mama koala holding her baby--a much better pic to end on, right? :)
~Cathy








11 comments:
You poor girl! You are really banged up! I think all those bruises just make you look really TUFF!
So that was so fun you were able to stop by when you were in Denver. It was so fun to see you.
AND...you're not going to believe this, but we might be in Salt Lake too! Jon got offered an internship there so we might be seeing even more of you! We'll keep you updated.
I hope you heal quickly!
Oh my goodness! You poor girl, those pictures were gruesome. I saw one on your facebook a few days after it happened (you know I don't keep up on FB) and wanted to ask you the story. So sad! I felt especially bad for you because I know how much you love and look forward to your basketball, and look what it did to you!! Grayam was VERY concerned about your owies when he saw me looking at those pics.
So sorry our call ended weird the other day. Don't know if I hung up on you or dropped your call or what. I'm sorry you have a cold too - probably got it from us!! I feel so bad. You are all kinds of beat up and sick! Well I hope you are resting what little bit you can and can feel better soon. Love you!!
Ouch! I felt your pain through the pictures. I hope you are okay.
I am so happy you are going to SLC. I love SLC. You are so lucky. Are you going to work at Primary Children's? That is a great place. Good luck to you.
SLC is so beautiful - congrats! :)
Congrats on the fellowship!
I'm pretty sure dudes (like chicks) also love scars, so don't worry about that ;)
So gross about the eye!!! aaagh!! I just can't stand seeing people hurt!
So glad that your guys are staying pretty close for your fellowship. Sorry about your tumble. It looks pretty painful. I hope it all heals up nicely. I hate when I hurt myself it noticeable spots. Everyone is always asking about it. And if it happened in an embarrassing way it is always worse. One time a gave myself a black eye with the top corner of a car door. Just me being clumsy.
WOW! What a long post! You guys are so busy. I am excited for you guys to come to SLC!! We have really enjoyed it here. Ryan, my husband, does Real Estate part-time if you guys are looking to buy I am sure he would be happy to help. Sorry about the stitches. I am sure it is weird for you to be on the opposite end of things. (I know it is for me when I am at the dental office). Anyways....congrats, and we hope to see you soon! You'll have to have a welcoming party when you arrive. I am sure my brother Russ would like to see you and Bob too! :)
Congratulations on going to SLC. My cousin's baby has had lots of procedures done at Children's Hospital. They are wonderful there.
What a nasty cut. Do you think you'll have a scar?
So glad you were a good patient! Thanks for showing the pictures...I like seeing pictures like that for some reason. I hope it heals nicely.
Post a Comment