1. Bob! I definitely have been more aware of just how lucky I am to have such a wonderful husband who's so perfect for me since I see him so little these days! 1 more week to go and then we can at least see each other twice a day!
2. Heavenly Father and His son Jesus Christ... I'm grateful that my parents raised me to understand this incredible sacrifice and the incredible love He has for us and I try to work harder each day to remember why I'm here and to strive to be more like Him... it's pretty easy to get caught up in the day to day minutia and forget the big picture, but I'm sure grateful for his perfect love for all of us!
3. How well provided for we are--especially now when everyone's struggling so much. We're so lucky to have all our needs met
4. Similarly, how lucky we are to both have stable jobs that we love that allow us to pay our bills. Lots of people count the minutes while at work, but even though I'd of course rather be home and not working, I've got a pretty great job and I love teaching families and taking care of fun kids!
5. Our great families... you can choose your friends and most aspects of your life, but your family is out of your hands. I'm lucky enough to not only have a great family but also to have married into another great one!
6. Our many friends! That's the good and the bad of our many moves... we've had the opportunity to meet so many great friends everywhere we've been, and also so sad to leave such wonderful people behind with every move.
7. Simple pleasures. It's amazing how happy Domino's cheesey bread can make me... or cinnamon chip bread from Great Harvest. Bob learned long ago that my favorite foods will impress me far more than way bigger gestures sometimes! Seriously though, we like to think we'll always be satisfied with simple pleasures and not want/need more.
8. Modern communication! There are a lot of modern inventions that we should all thank our lucky stars for every day, let's be honest! But I can't imagine living in a time where friends and family living just hours away would be difficult/expensive to even call on the phone, much less email/IM/video chat with/or call on a cell phone! And of course the blogs... we all know I love the blogs. It's so great to be able to keep up with everyone from afar and see pictures of all their latest adventures!


I took this pics with my iPhone in our resident work room--not a bad view! I feel like it could be a Madigan post card...
14. The Army. Sometimes this one can be a mixed blessing, but I'm so grateful they paid for med school, pay me now, for my awesome residency program where I'm learning so much, for the great people I get to work with every day, for the fact that I get to take care of the kids of our soldiers who protect all of our freedom, that I don't have to deal with private insurance and their refusal to pay for things they should, that I just get to always do what's right for the patient, and that I'm forced to stay in shape (although it's not always fun to run, I know its good for me and I SHOULD do it!). The Army also did my PRK so I now don't contacts or glasses, which is so awesome, and I've had a crazy amount of pricey dental work, and all of it was 100% free thanks to the Army. I had an awesome time at both OBC and C4 in San Antonio, and although I missed Bob for both these training exploits, I made some great new friends that I hope I'll run into again! Although the Army might take us or even just me far from home eventually, the pluses far outweight the few downsides.
18. Our freedom. Both as Americans, but I'm also speaking to what our friends with kids always remind us of! We know we're very lucky to be able to just decide on a whim to go to dinner or a movie and just go.... these are simpler times and we can't wait to be parents in the not too distant future, but for now are making the most of our time together just the 2 of us!
So now your turn.... What are you all grateful for?
love,
Cathy








7 comments:
Isn't it a great practice to count our blessings? I need to do it more often myself, so thanks for the good reminder. We have a lot to be thankful for!
#16 made me laugh, because something I'm thankful for is my book light. It keeps our marriage intact since I like to read at all hours of the night. ;)
What a great post! I love thinking of my blessings, especially when things are tough. It really makes you see how lucky we really are! Thanks for sharing!
AMEN my sister!!!!
To everything you said
I'm so glad that your almost done with this rotation.
I am thankful for YOU! What a blessing you are in my life! Everyone should have a Cathy.
I too think this is a wonderful post. Speaking of the military, we are at Camp Pendleton right now checking out the area. I am also grateful for the military. There are many perks that make life easier.
Thank you for the great reminders of how blessed we all are!
Thank you for sharing your personal gratitude list. What a good reminder that we are constanly surrounded with blessings. Lately I have been thanful for my sister spending so much time with the boys—they are so lucky to have an auntie like her. I even got to sleep in a few times last a week—now that's something to be thankful for!
Post a Comment